Saturday, May 21, 2011

Net[working]...sounds hard


I have a confession.
You might not be expecting it...then again, if you know me or have been reading my blog, you might be.
Despite how many countless hours I spend on the computer, the truth is that I don't know how to work the internet.
Yes, I blog, I tweet, I facebook...I network the crap out of my life, but were you to invite me to join a forum or a real networking site, my poor, media inept brain gets all in a tizzy.
My perfectly internet capable friends suggested I check out Reddit because it's reportedly better and more up to date than stumble upon. I took that suggestion and recoiled in fear and confusion when I found myself on a website that I would need a yahoo map to navigate.  I haven't returned to reddit since that day...which I may never hear the end of.
I'll stick to my fool proof stumble upon, thank you very much!

My most recent endeavor to join 20 Something Bloggers (at the recommendation of Hipstercrit) was a similar experience. I got myself signed up and anxiously awaited acceptance. When I received my glorious confirmation e-mail, I hopped on over to the site with anticipation and was stopped in my tracks by walls of feeds and comments and blog suggestions and and and.... {gasp}
Where was I to start?
With setting up my profile, of course. Easy enough, I suppose. The hardest part of that is finding witty and interesting things to say about myself to hook potential followers. Cake. I can brag about myself until the cows come home. Profile: Done!
Well...then what? 
Join a group! Why not? What better way to begin my blog networking experience!
Hello, 20 Something Writers! I'm Laura and I don't think I'm a real writer or blogger yet. Someone Please love me...
After the profile setting-up and group joining, I was worn out.
I had done enough for one day. I'd just leave it alone and try again another day...and then I completely forgot about it.
Imagine my surprise when I received a friend request! Can you believe it?
Not only did I not know there was such a thing on 20sb, but I was flummoxed that somebody would want to be my friend. And if that weren't enough, shortly thereafter, I got ANOTHER friend request.
(You probably think that it continued on like that until I had at least 352 friends, but it didn't. I have 2 friends and ya know what? I appreciate them.)

The gist is, really, that I have no idea how to work the internetz. With all the wiz-bang ads, flashing lights and people with their comments and such, its just utterly lost on me. The truth is, I can hardly handle those things irl. (That means "in real life" for those of you who are just as internet differently-abled as I am, but also lacking in internet savvy friends.)
Eventually, I'll get the hang of 20sb and maybe even get brave some day and try my hand at tumblr or the like...but  that day is not today. For now I'll stick with my 3 basics, blog/twitter/facebook.
I probably shouldn't post this. It's not very good. But I'm gonna do it anyway!

Love your very own blogging twitface,
Lauka

1 comment:

  1. I'm a little bit like this. Usually, I can figure things out but it does take me longer than the average bear, I suppose. After I joined tumblr, I pretty much stared at it for days trying to figure out what to do.

    Free advice: staring at the Internet doesn't help you understand how it works. You're welcome.

    Don't give up on 20sb! It might take time, but it's totally worth it. :)

    Lor

    ReplyDelete