Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Petr Piper Czech Hitch Hiker

Mr. and Mrs. Brown were married on Friday.
Their house was finished on Saturday.
They moved all of their stuff in (which isn't really much at this point) on Sunday.
They left for their Colorado reception on Monday.
So, I am house sitting a very large, very empty house.
Luckily enough, I found and unsecured internet connection.
[YES!]
I realized my blogs have been scarce lately, so I figured I'd tell you a little story.

Last Sunday, I was driving home from Colorado.
It started like any other day really. I woke up, ate brunch with the Gees, packed up, jumped in my car, pointed to the sun and drove away.
I realized as I drove, that I forgot to grab food for the road and that I had to pee.
There I was, somewhere in Wyoming, in complete failure to thrive mode.
(Failure to Thrive: tired, hungry, unshowered, full bladder)
I made a quick decision to stop in Centennial for a bathroom break and to grab some food. After Garmen got me all sorts of turned around, I found my way into the town. At this point, I was pretty frustrated for the following reasons:
  1. I had 6 more hours in the car by myself.
  2. All gas stations in Centennial are also bate and tackle shops or just podunk little places. I just wanted a real gas station with which to support my Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles and French Onion Dip habit. (don't knock it 'til you try it.)
  3. The gas station I stopped at didn't have a working bathroom.
So, thoroughly ticked off, I hopped back in my car and headed on my merry way. As I took the exit back to the highway, I saw a hitch hiker. I instinctively shook my head and drove on, knowing full well that women are not to pick up hitch hikers alone. Then I thought, "Well, why the hell not?" I flipped around at the next exit and hoped that he would still be there. He looked young and very much like someone I would be friends with. As I drove past him the second time I slowed my car to a stop and unlocked the passenger door. There was not even a trace of nerves as he walked toward my car.

Petr:(in a heavy accent) Where are you going?
Me: Utah. Where do you need to go?
Petr: Yellow Stone.

He threw his bags in the back and off we went.
Now, I know what you're thinking. I've already heard it.
He didn't have an axe, nor did he kill me and steal my car. In fact, he was lovely. He's from the Czech Republic and he's just traveling. Not for any real purpose other than to get away. The truth is, I envy him. I think daily about getting in my car and driving anywhere, just leaving everything behind and adventuring. He's been everywhere. He flew into South America 2 1/2 years ago and has just been working his way North. He needed to be in Canada in a little over a week.
It was lovely to have someone with me, someone to talk to.
We talked about everything; his life before his "America Adventure," my schooling, my plans, my future, his plans, his future, beliefs, and religion. I told him about wanting to go to Africa and to just travel and see everything. He encouraged me to go now, while I'm young and have everything going for me.
I hated dropping him off in Rock Springs knowing that he might not be picked up, that he might have to sleep outside, that I might never see him again.
We exchanged information and fully intend on keeping in touch.
He's a good man.
As we shook hands he said, "Maybe we'll meet again...in Africa."


Maybe it was crazy and dangerous.
Of course it could have ended badly.
But crazies are crazies and bad things happen all the time, you can't avoid everyone and everything just because it might end badly.
This turned out to be a wonderful and inspiring adventure in which I made a wonderful new friend.
I wouldn't take it back, not ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment